Welcome to 3B Cattle Company’s Farm Blog!
I am very excited to finally have my own blog that shows the day-to-day life on our farm. The primary purpose of the blog is to educate people about beef cattle and agriculture but there will also be personal posts as well (family, pets, trends, etc.). I hope you enjoy reading my blog and looking at the photos as much as I enjoy writing them. If you have any questions related to agriculture please feel free to send me an email (see contact page) and I can address your question in a blog post.
- The Importance of Farm Biosecurity - Now that everyone’s attention has been turned to the COVID-19 outbreak, you may be wondering how do farms minimize animal health problems? What biosecurity practices are in place to reduce risk? Minimizing health problems is just as important in animals as it is in humans. As I type this, events are being canceled, schools are … Continue reading The Importance of Farm Biosecurity
- Why Cows Are Sustainable After All - It seems like every week a new restaurant chain, celebrity, or company has decided to announce some big change about animal agriculture (meat, dairy, etc.). Earlier this month, the Golden Globes decided to go meatless due to their concerns about climate change. More recently, Starbucks announced that they want to be more environmentally sustainable and … Continue reading Why Cows Are Sustainable After All
- Merry Christmas! - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family here at 3B Cattle Company to yours! We have had a blessed year with our family and friends as well as good cattle! We hope you enjoy this holiday season and are able to spend time with the people that mean the most to you. See … Continue reading Merry Christmas!
- Thankful- Tales from an exciting calving season! - With Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow, I cannot help but feel very thankful. We have had a busy fall on the farm with new calves, good grass, rain, and a new hay shed (we lost ours to a bad storm this summer). As I reflect on the past couple of months, I thought I would share … Continue reading Thankful- Tales from an exciting calving season!
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Chili - Raise your hand if you love an easy and nutritious meal that also makes good leftovers! Me too! Beef chili has quickly made its way up my favorite list of meals. I also love any recipe that I can put in the slow cooker and forget about until dinner time. Ground beef to me is … Continue reading Easy Slow Cooker Beef Chili
- What Do Beef Cattle Eat? - Beef Calf Diet When beef calves are first born, their diet consists of their dam’s (mother’s) milk. Calves gradually start to explore (learning from their dam) and graze on forages as well as drink water. Beef calves typically grow on their dam’s milk and forage only until they are weaned at 6-8 months of age. … Continue reading What Do Beef Cattle Eat?
- Grilling Made Easy - Grilling may seem a bit daunting to a beginner and it really shouldn’t be! I fell into the “too scared to grill” category not that long ago (like a few months ago). In fact, I was downright afraid of the entire process but what really got me was the open flame. I finally decided that … Continue reading Grilling Made Easy
- Beef Purchasing Decisions - Do you purchase your beef from the grocery store or direct from a beef cattle farm? Is one source better than another? Isn’t it all the same beef? I am going to attempt to provide a little insight to beef purchasing in this blog post that can hopefully put your mind at rest. Myth: Beef … Continue reading Beef Purchasing Decisions
- Beef Education - Did you know that the average American is at least three generations removed from the farm? With such a disconnect between farmers and consumers, it is important that we (farmers, educators, industry) educate the public about how our food is grown and raised. Not only do I teach producers how to raise livestock through my … Continue reading Beef Education
- Spring at 3B Cattle Co! - I cannot tell you how happy I am to see green grass! The pairs have officially been moved off of winter feeding ground and are grazing again. Spring is such an exciting time here at the farm. We will be weaning and processing (vaccinating, deworming, etc.) calves this weekend. Toro, our new Hereford bull was … Continue reading Spring at 3B Cattle Co!